2862 30th St, Boulder, CO | Directions 8030140.028091 -105.253444
Tilden Is an excellent shop. I take my car there for all of my repairs and oil changes. Both Bob and Chris are very friendly and are great resources for my car needs. both are always good for a quick chat when I am waiting for my car giving the atmosphere that I am being taken care of as their customer and not just another face giving them a pay check. I highly recommend Tilden to anyone needing their car worked on.
I was thrilled when the fellows at the Tire Source told me that a wonderful mechanic named Bob Ralph had just bought the shop next door to them. I took my car in that day and was so impressed with his kindness, competence, and honesty that I have been returning ever since. He takes time to explain what is going on with my car and what options I have. He knows I am on a slim budget and helps me prioritize repairs.The work is always outstanding. Beyond being a dream mechanic, Bob has a phenomenal memory. Even when I run into him somewhere else in town he remembers my name and what work he has done on my car. I cannot praise him enough. He is a gift in my life.
Best service ever! – I went to Tiiden because my car broke down and I had to have it towed I called the shop they referred me to a towing company that was affordable. Once I got my car to the shop they quoted a price that I couldn't afford the owner Bob was very understanding and worked with me to determine what needed to be fixed right away so I could get back and forth to work. Bob went out of his way to make sure I had a great experience I will not be going anywhere else for my car as long as I live in Colorado this is a shop I would drive out of my way for because I know they will take care of me. Amazing service I have never seen with a mechanic before!
Polite and Honest – First let me start by saying that I am a woman and no nothing about a car, or how they work--That quickly changed!!
I went into Tilden with a coupon for an oil change, I figured this would be the best way to learn about a shop. The owner greeted me immediately, and right from the start I knew I was in the right spot. During the oil change the mechanic (Justin) had found a few problems with car and wanted to show me around so I knew what I was dealing with. Bob, who is the owner presented me with a few different options so I could make the best descision for my budget. Usually I am used to other shops telling me (if you dont fix this now you are going to have an accident and your car is in such bad shape its amazing that it even runs). I didnt have anything done at that point--wanted a second opinion. Turns out that Tilden was more than 100% honest, the other shops told me I shouldnt be driving ,its that bad. Anyway I made an appt. with Bob and his crew to have the work done.It just felt like a completely honest shop!
Excellent service – I have been taking my vehicle to Tilden Car Care in Boulder for a number of years. I bring it there all the way from denver for oil changes and any other required service. i even have had a vehicle towed there bypassing several other shops. the service has always been prompt and the staff courteous. Bob, the owner, is a top notch certified technician who always gets the job done right the first time. Anyone that cares about automobiles will appreciate the care he takes and the knowledge he brings to his work. I would never think to bring my 3 vehicles (including a classic) to anyone else. I would also like to mention that Bob worked on my vehicles before he owned Tilden and I would follow him for service anywhere and highly recommend him to anyone.
Excellent – I have taken my vehicles to Bob for over 15 years. (I have followed him around Colorado) Now that I have a sixteen year old driving with a new car, I was confident that I could take it to Bob and he would make sure that it was safe and reliable. I wanted to surprise my daughter with getting the work done while she was at school,and Bob and his team worked on it for seven hours to make it happen. Changed the timing belt, motor mount, oil change, and a complete tune up. I live in Denver and make the drive up to Tilden for every oil change and every car repair. I hope Bob opens another shop closer, but with that being said, I will continue to make the drive. If you just need an oil change or major car repair Tilden in Boulder is the shop for you. Thanks again and I will be up soon.
Outstanding – I live in the southern part of Denver, but heard about this shop (and it
Terrible – I went to Tilden because they had a $19 oil change coupon and it's literally right next to my work. A monkey can change oil - I'm a girl and I can do it (just not in the parking lot of my apt complex or I'll break my lease, that's why I take it in).
Anyway, I dropped it off at 8am and I work until 5, so I said I wouldn't need it until then. They were not finished [with an OIL CHANGE] until around 5:30.
Then, 3 different people (including the owner's wife) came out to tell me what was wrong with it and how much it cost. I have no problem with that, but at one point she looked at another mechanic who was going to give me the whole diagnostic again and used the phrase "she's not buying". Did I mention it's my boyfriend's car? I don't have the habit of spending hundreds of $$ on my boyfriend's vehicle.
Also, in the laundry list of problems they've gave me, they said the axel boots were torn. They had been replaced a year before, to the day, and that I *needed* to have them replaced immediately. I took it to our real mechanic (he
First Class Outfit – Had a complex repair performed on my Ford Contour, I was not completely satisified with the initial work therefore I contacted the shop owner. He was very responsive and immediately addressed my concern.
As best as I can determine, the prices are fair and market based.
Verdict is out – PROS
- So far, repair on seemingly complicated issue seems to be holding up.
- Bob (the boss) was willing to work with me on price of expensive repair.
- Bob also very patiently talked me through complicated repair issue to help me understand what the heck they were talking about (does anyone really know what a rack and pinion hex screw is or does?)
- Almost every time, over about a week, I was told someone was going to call me to explain an issue, give me an update, give me an estimate no one called. The only prompt call I got was to be told my car was ready.
- The estimated cost of replacing spark plugs in a v-8 close to if not more than twice the dealer's cost (somewhere between $200 - 350 -- I'm still unclear WHAT they charge for this service -- vs. $119 at the dealer.) While this price was very generously negotiated down for me, I can't help but remain skeptical to see how an indy mechanic's stays open with prices for basic maintenance issues that much higher than a dealer's service shop.
- I had a rebuilt part (meaning not new/factory direct) used to replace it's broken counterpart in my truck. Not knowing much about used parts used in repairs, I asked about the warranty and was told the part would be warrantied up to two years. That seemed reasonable to me. Upon picking up my vehicle, I asked where in the invoice was the wording for the promised warranty and was told it wasn't there but that the part would be under warranty thru the manufacturer of my car (Dodge.) This didn't make sense to me -- why would a car maker hold itself liable for a part that's not new but has been rebuilt? If this was actually the case, why wouldn't that part have come from the manufacturer with a written warranty? I expressed my doubts that this was the case and was then told that the owner, "... is good about hooking you up if something goes wrong with a repair." Not satisfied with a verbal promise of getting "hooked up" I expressed some concern about not getting a written warranty on a repair that cost me over $1000. The boss being out, a mechanic was called in to the office who explained that the warranty was, "... in the computer." That seemed reasonable, so I asked, "Can you print me out a copy." This question seemed to be met with a mixture of confusion and/or annoyance. Finally, the very nice young man behind the counter just hand-wrote on my invoice, "2 year warranty" on the part I had repaired and signed it.
I am NOT a mechanic. I am going to assume that, mechanically, this repair was done flawlessly and that I will have no further problems (knock on wood.) I was also very appreciative of the kind treatment I received during most of the negotiations surrounding this repair. What I AM is a businessman and I have to think that in an area like Boulder, a business that deals with high-cost transactions like expensive car repairs needs to be run with more organization and a finer focus on the likely demands of fussy, semi-to-well informed (read "anal") customers such as myself.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Tilden For Brakes Car Care Ctr on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.